The Sydney Harbour Bridge is a bona fide Australian icon – up ______ with Uluru, the Opera House, the Great Barrier Reef and John Farnham’s mullet. But it could have looked very different. When a bridge was initially _____ in 1900, more than 70 designs were put _____and rejected. The government then continued to hold competitions until they saw something they liked and could _____ – Dorman Long’s now-famous design from 1924.
1. Proposed 2. forth 3. designs 4. Forward 5 afford.
Check for answers below
1. there ( up there is an informal way of saying equal to )
2. Proposed ( proposal, designs, rejected , makes sense?
3. Forward ( putting forward something means offering an idea or solution
Large financial companies have to ______ hundreds of thousands of cyberattacks every single day. Data thieves have to get ____ only once.
Big banks like Capital One, the ____ of a recent attack that captured the personal information of over 100 million people, are a ____ for digital troublemakers, like individual hackers trying to impress their peers or intelligence operatives for foreign governments.
Try it out , guess the meaning of unknown words by looking at the context. Play the elimination game for each blank see which options are you left with..
1. thwart ( means to stop something from happening, like halt etc.
2. lucky ( Get lucky is a collocation)
3. victim ( victim of attack)
4. target (a target for someone)