PTE Writing is a section of the Pearson Test of English (PTE) academic exam. It assesses a candidate’s writing skills in English, including their ability to summarize written text and write an essay. The writing section is computer-based, and the test-taker types their responses using a keyboard.
The PTE Writing section consists of two tasks:
- Summarize Written Text: In this task, the candidate is given a passage of text and asked to summarize it in one sentence. The passage can be on any topic and may contain up to 300 words. The candidate has 10 minutes to complete the task.
- Write Essay: In this task, the candidate is given a prompt and asked to write an essay on the topic. The prompt may be an argumentative, persuasive, or informative essay. The candidate has 20 minutes to write an essay with a minimum of 200 words.
Both tasks are scored on a scale of 0-90. The score is based on several factors, including the candidate’s ability to write a well-organized response, use appropriate vocabulary and grammar, and demonstrate critical thinking skills.
Preparing for the PTE Writing section involves practicing writing essays and summarizing text, improving grammar and vocabulary, managing time effectively, and analyzing sample responses. Candidates can use official PTE practice materials and get feedback from a teacher or tutor to improve their writing skills.
Achieving a score of 90 in PTE Writing requires a lot of preparation and practice. Here are some tips that may help you:
- Familiarize yourself with the test format: The PTE Writing section consists of two tasks: Summarize Written Text and Write Essay. Understand the format and requirements of each task before you start practicing.
- Improve your grammar and vocabulary: Use grammar and vocabulary resources to improve your language skills. Focus on common errors you make and try to correct them.
- Practice writing regularly: Regular practice is essential to improve your writing skills. Try to write at least one essay and summarize one text every day. Use official PTE practice materials and get feedback from a teacher or tutor. (Practice with our 10 full scored Mock Tests portal)
- Manage your time effectively: Time management is crucial in the PTE Writing section. Practice writing under timed conditions to improve your speed and accuracy.
- Analyze sample responses: Look at sample responses for each task to understand what a high-scoring essay or summary looks like. Pay attention to the structure, vocabulary, and grammar used in these samples.
- Seek help if needed: If you are struggling with a particular aspect of the test or your English language skills, seek help from a tutor or take a course. (PTE Academic 79 Plus Online Course)
- Review your work: After completing a task, review your work to check for errors and make corrections. Focus on common mistakes you make and try to avoid them in the future.