The Sydney Harbour Bridge is a bona fide Australian icon – up ______ with Uluru, the Opera House, the Great Barrier Reef and John Farnham’s mullet. But it could have looked very different. When a bridge was initially _____ in 1900, more than 70 designs were put _____and rejected. The government then continued to hold competitions until they saw something they liked and could _____ – Dorman Long’s now-famous design from 1924.
1. proposed 2. forth 3. designs 4. forward 5. afford
Check for answers below
1. there ( up there is an informal way of saying equal to )
2. Proposed ( proposal, designs, rejected , makes sense?)
3. Forward ( putting forward something means offering an idea or solution)
Paying for college seems out of reach for many Americans, so the idea of free college has_____ appeal. Several Democratic presidential candidates and members of Congress have endorsed it.
But free college isn’t really free — someone has to pay for it. ________tuition at all public colleges and universities would cost at least $79 billion a year, according to the most recent Department of Education ____, and taxpayers would need to foot the
That is a lot of money, but it is a smart and humane investment, and could be more affordable than you think.
Try to guess the answers by understanding the text and words around a blank.
1. broad ( broad appeal or wide appeal is a collocation )
2. Eliminating ( removing )
3. Data (recent data collocates)
4 . bill (foot the bill is a collocation )